September 25, 2010

Costume?

Okay, I know. I know, I know, I know. Halloween isn't exactly around the corner. Honestly though, the best costumes are thought up ahead of time. So really, is a month early still too soon? I don't think so. I want to be prepared, damn it.

I've had this idea that an architecture themed costume might be a good idea. Being in studio this semester means that buildings are always tucked into any crevice of empty space left in my head. So naturally, I'm going to incorporate them into non-academic related things too.

The only problem here... how do you make a costume of a building? A box isn't exactly flattering. Although, I think these famous architects (wearing their own buildings) managed to pull it off.

Then again, they were old. They weren't 20 year old college girls going to a party. I don't want to be clumsily walking around with a huge cardboard structure on my head. This other picture I found of a girl donning a U.S. Capitol bra is more appealing, but still a little too risque for my own taste.

Another option is to go completely abstract and make a statement about architectural spatiality and the human form. These Oskar Schlemmer costumes I found are cool, but they might be a little too hard to explain at a party where a large portion of the people won't remember my name the next day, let alone the complex theory behind my weird costume.

Well, hopefully I'll figure out some happy medium by the big day.

No comments:

Post a Comment